Re: need some readline tricks

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 05:22:40 -0500
Chun Kit Edwin Lau <try_email_me@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> 	I am looking for a readline trick.  Say for example, when I
> type an "s" and a arrow key at the prompt, I should be able to scroll
> last command that begins with an "s".  Is it achievable in realine?
> thanx

Not sure I follow you here; do you mean at the command prompt or in some shell script you are writing?  If you want to search previous commands issued at the command prompt you have to find out what shell you use and what if any line editor you use... if you just want to try it then do CRTL+r and see if it says "reverse i-search:" ... this would mean you have emacs line editor and you type the letter you are searching for, then CTRL+r again to move BACKWARD another matching entry.  If you use vi for line editor then you use the regular vi keys (? for reverse search)...  If this isn't what you are looking for then please elaborate.

HTH

Shawn