RE: cups and hpijs driver

OK,
Re: HPDeskJet 960c as local printer on Woody box

 I've used up my variables. I installed the KDE kdelips3-cups package, (and
I also have installed: cupsys; cupsys-client; cupsys-pstoraster; mpage;
foomatic-bin; foomatic-db; and hpijs -- I did not install cupsys-bsd as this
is for printing off the local linux box only; I did a custom PPD which looks
like it is installed correctly and is being used) and it knows about CUPS,
but when I start up the wizzard the first dialog box I get is all grayed out
except for "Class of Printers" and if I select that, the next one shows no
printers available.

I did not try Benedict's Cupsomatic Perl script under the thinking that this
was taken care of by my custom PPD and the functions are supplied by the
foomatic guys...yes?

In the CUPS http admin tool I appear to be able to set up the printer, and
it sees it at:
URI: parallel /dev/lp0
and it has Device: Parallel Port 1

Clicking on "Print Test Page" gets the printer rolling, and then it spits
out a blank page.

when i go to configure it it gives me: client-error-not-found
...first time out I went back and installed the CUPS client, but that didn't
change anything.

(I have deleted and re-added, and stopped and started the printer several
times).

I also took a look at the kernel and I have IEEE support, parallel printer
support, and USB support.

When I try and print a file from Nedit I get: Unable to Print sh:lpr command
not found (I also mentioned previously that when I try to enter the
administration tool via the command line lpadmin I get no such command)

Just to be sure I shut down and restarted a couple of times. Also generously
peppered the operation with /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Just Guessing in the dark, I added the printer to the classes following the
obvious...ahum...choices in the wizzard. nada

Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org

How come after 3 rebuilds, when i run # uname -a my kernel is still listed
as #1  the date is the rebuild date, and the vmlinus version in /boot is
also dated correctly.