RE: cups and hpijs driver

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 03:21, Michael Olds wrote:
> I'm catching up to this one late, and am being thrown off by the very start.
>
> I have a DeskJet 960C
>
> I am pretty sure it's hooked up right as it was running under RedHat
> (meaning I have PnP turned off in the BIOS) and during one point in playing
> around tonight I saw that something knew the printer was there.(don't ask,
> I've been trying to find it again and can't).
>
> I have installed the foomatic.bin and foomatic.db and cupsys and it's
> depends
> and have generated and saved in /usr/share/cups/model/HP-DeskJet`.ppd
>
> But when I type lpadmin in the terminal I get unknown command and when I use
> the web interface I am thrown by the first three questions (I think I
> understand what follows!):
> Name: what name? Is that just an I make it up name? DeskJet 960C?
Yep, doesn't matter one bit. Choose what you find descriptive for your
printer

> The Help
> file says the helpful wizzard will walk you through this and you just answer
> a few obvious questions! Not obvious to me.
> Locatin: what location? and if this is the /dev/lp or lp0 or lp1 can I just
> go and assign that?
Hasn't got any meaning at all. Again, it's just a description field. I
found that confusing too

> Description I can guess is nothing important.
Nope.

> Thanks for any help and sorry if this was already covered. I would like to
> get a printer hooked up to the rig.

That's about all the steps i did except for the cupsomatic perl script
that i installed in /usr/lib/cups/filter
I followed these instructions:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html

And that was all i needed to get it work properly