Re: smtp of ISP needs passwd,how to setup exim?

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 06:55:28PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 09:24:36PM +0800, Dai Yuwen wrote:

> > I want to setup exim use my ISP's smtp server as a smart host.  But this
> > smtp server needs user name and password.  How do I use exim this way?
> >  Thank you in advance.

I missed Dai's post.

Telnet your smtp host, issue the EHLO command and note the response.

$ telnet your.mail.host 25
EHLO

What you are interested in is
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
AUTH LOGIN=PLAIN

In /etc/exim/exim.conf in the transports section under
smtp_remote you want to set authenticate_hosts to your.smarthost.
I missed this.

In the last section of exim.conf you want to uncomment the _client_
options for smtp auth email.

LOGIN PLAIN equates to exim's plain.
LOGIN=PLAIN equates to exim's login.

You only need the option you are using.  /var/log/exim/main.log
will show each type of authorization that fails.

Replace the username and password with your mailid@isp.address and
clear_text_password.  Verizon assigns "email ids" which are what are
you use to login.  The "aliases" that you may make up, are not for
login or authorization.

--
rir                     Live the dream.