proposed updates - part of Debian or not ?

Hello everybody!

I've got a simple question: are the proposed updates part of the
official Debian distribution or not ?

Proposed updates to the stable distribution:

  <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/proposed-updates>
  <ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/proposed-updates>

In "Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 updated (r1)"
(http://www.debian.org/News/2002/20021216) these apt-lines are mentioned
- but "proposed" means something linke "adviced".

Before reading that announcement I believed that those packages are put
into "proposed updates", that later go into minor releases (like 3.0r1).
So "proposed updates" would be updates which are not official part of
Debian but will be someday. (And then they will be taken away from
proposed updates and put into the main archive).

So, if I want to run the stable Debian release only, should I include
them or not ??

regards,
	Holger (please cc: as I'm not on this list)