Re: proposed updates - part of Debian or not ?

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:49:13PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I've got a simple question: are the proposed updates part of the
> official Debian distribution or not ?

They are not part of the stable release. They're as much a part of the
Debian distribution as unstable is.

> Before reading that announcement I believed that those packages are put
> into "proposed updates", that later go into minor releases (like 3.0r1).
> So "proposed updates" would be updates which are not official part of
> Debian but will be someday. (And then they will be taken away from
> proposed updates and put into the main archive).

That's correct.

> So, if I want to run the stable Debian release only, should I include
> them or not ??

Not. They're there so that people who want to test things planned for
the next point release can do so. However, some of the packages in
proposed-updates may be rejected and not included in point releases.

Cheers,