Re: courier imap configuration almost working

Hi Benedict,

A lot of people here can probably give you more definitive answers than
I can (I'm still learning it myself), but I have pretty much the
exact setup as you, so for what it's worth...

Benedict Verheyen wrote:
 > The setup involves fetchmail (pop3), exim (smtp), procmail
 > to filter and courier-imap to access it.

[snipped.. see below for Maildir heirarchy]

 > 1) First weird thing (at least for me but i could be standard) is that
 > the mails in kde and user are written as 1040076006.15184_0.lancelot
 > (lancelot is the hostname)

this looks right. mine are named the same way. I think it's the exim
naming format.. saw it in the docs somewhere.. some scheme to ensure all
the files in your mail queue are uniquely named. it carries over well to the maildir..

[snipped stuff looks ok to me]

 > But i cannot seem to access the mails in the kde and user folder
 > or do i have to create them IN the cur or kde folder?

The courier Maildir heirarchy is a little bit weird, they're all stored on the same level & a dot becomes the heirarchal seperator, including seperating the implied INBOX from the subfolders. it's easiest for me to just show you. some of my folders are:

~Maildir/
    cur
    new
    tmp
  .IN-debian-isp/
    cur
    new
    tmp
  .IN-debian-user/
    cur
    new
    tmp

etc.. when you start creating subfolders they go to, say,

  .lists.apache/
    cur
    new
    tmp
  .lists.exim/
    cur
    new
    tmp
  .lists.perl/
    cur
    new
    tmp

which looks like this in mozilla

INBOX
   IN-debian-user
   IN-debian-isp
   lists
     apache
     exim
     perl

My .procmailrc recipe to deliver to each of these is then something like
this:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/

:0
* ^TO_debian-user@lists.debian.org
.IN-debian-user/

As a side note, I'm pretty sure this is the default configuration for courier, but I've noticed some mail clients do not provide a way to navigate back to the inbox after visiting other folders. (Some of the finer points of mutt IMAP configuration in general is one reason I'm using Mozilla 95% of the time lately.) See the thread from the 14th called "Courier-IMAP folder layout" for quirks in other MUAs too..

HTH,

Kenneth