Re: problem converting and writing mp3 to CD

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 12:09:18PM +1100, John Griffiths wrote:
> >> at a wild guess your cd writer is faster than your mp3 conversion.
> >it's a Benq 32x10x40
>
> sounds fast. If it's writing the tracks faster than mpg123 is making it
> that would be your problem cold.

Try using the speed=x option to cdrecord to slow down the writing speed.

> >It's a script that i found on many sites though so that surprises me a bit.
> >(it's mentioned in TLDP: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-3.html)
> >

> are you running IDE hardware?
>
> think about how it's all working
>
> mpg123 is reading the mp3 track off your HD, creating a .wav file which it's
> putting back down your IDE channel, cdrecord is then trying to read the .wav
> file UP the channel and send it to the cdwriter back DOWN that channel.

Surely the pipe will be buffered in memory, not on disk? (Unless you're
really really short on memory.) That's how I'd expect it to work.
Certainly, when I run a string of piped commands, the behaviour of the
HD indicator light suggests that it's buffered in memory.

> if at any point in this frantic activity the cdwriter runs out of data to
> lay down
> it's going to barf.
>
> having the cdwriter on a diferrent bus to the HD might help a bit.

This is a good suggestion.

Pigeon