Re: cups and hpijs driver

Phil Reardon wrote:
It turns out there is a debian package called hpijs, so I installed that along with foomatic-bin. But it still did not show up in the driver list. What do I do now?

Phil Reardon

You probably need a specific PPD file for your printer that is not included in the above. It is possible to generate it locally using the foomatic stuff (I think) but the easiest for me was to go to http://www.linuxprinting.org/ and generate one using their "PPD-O-Matic" program. You then copy it to your /usr/share/model/ directory and it will show up on the CUPS menu.

The above site has a LOT of information on printers, drivers, and printing systems for Linux. It can be a bit intimidating due to the amount of information available, but I highly recommend it. As a first step, I would look up your particular printer and read all the various notes. I would also look up the hpijs "driver' and read a bit about it. Finally, you should look at the CUPS section for directions on installing the PPD files, etc.

Cheers & Good Luck!

-Don Spoon-