Re: urgent - system slow after spamassassin

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 12:30:07PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello all
>
> after installing spamassassin, my system has become terribly slow! i

Spamassassin consumes enormouse amounts of resources when scanning spam.
I ended up disabling it because it was so painful.

> thought that it must be becasue spamd is trying to scan all messages. so
> i modified ~/.spamassassin/user-prefs. here is how it looks:
>
> whitelist_from debian*
> whitelist_from mutt*
> whitelist_from vim*

Whitelisting an address just decrements it's spam score by some amount,
it doesn't bypass scanning entirely.

> now i realize that this has hardly made any difference. for instance,
> messages from debian-user@lists.debian.org appear to be coming from the
> sender.

As above, this wouldn't help anyhow.

> kmod - runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
>
> what is that?
>
> when my system was crawling, i tried top and it showed several exim
> processes - some of them defunct!

Sounds like your system is dieing under the load...

> how do i restore sanity with spamassassin on? for writing this e-mail, i
> have turned it off

Try only letting spamd run 5 concurrent processes at once, that should
stop things exploding.  It'll take _ages_ to filter all your mail
though.

-rob