AucTeX / Emacs syntax highlighting problem

Hello List

I have a file called header.tex in my home directory which I use for every LaTeX document. When I try to do
\input{$HOME/header}
at the very beginning of my document, emacs colors everything in math-mode-colour because of the "$"-sign. I do not want to use the absolute path, because I use the same tex-files on my home box ($HOME == /home/jorg) and on an IRIX box at university ($HOME == /usr/people/jorg). Can I tell emacs to ignore the "$" sign in \input{} context? (is this a bug?). To work around this, I \input another file called $HOME/newcommands, so the math mode stops there... but this is not very beautiful.

Thanks
joerg