Re: spamassasin - how to avoid further false positives and negatives?

on Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 10:30:46PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dman@dman.ddts.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:41:43PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> | hello
> |
> | my spamassasin set-up was the quickest in my entire mail processing
> | set-up. and it has already started marking ****SPAM****! :)
> |
> | now, there are some false positives and some false negatives. how do i
> | make spamassasin learn these mistakes?
> |
> | i mean, how do i tell spamassasin *not* to mark a particular message as
> | ****SPAM**** and vice versa?
> |
> | if i mistake not, i will have to do these changes as sysadmin - root.
>
> Tweak the scores and/or the rules.  Look in /etc/spamassassin and
> /usr/share/spamassassin (but don't try modifying the stuff under
> /usr).

What's wrong with tweaking ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs, as user?

Note too that if spamassassin is called from procmail or similar
mail-processing, it's possible to set conditions on what mail is
filtered via these rules.  In particular, whitelists are highly
recommended.  Spamassassin's own auto-whitelisting tends to improve
scoring over time (though it can also backfire).

If you're using SA at the MTA level for incoming mail rejection, I'd
strongly recommend setting your reject level fairly high -- ~10 is good
-- and doing secondary filtering with personal mail rules.  You'll also
probably want to set some domain-wide whitelists.

Peace.