Re: Need help designing backup/server system

Hi Alvin!

The problem is that I am *always* home! These are my
personal computers, at least in the sense that I own them,
but they are used for business purposes as well as personal.

And me thinks you have a simplistic view of Window machines!
I have *nothing* in the "My Documents" folder, and neither
does my wife. I have 30 gig of files and programs and my
wife has over 60 gig. I have no idea how many directories,
or "folders," either of us have.

My idea is to move all this stuff from Windows to a Debian
fileserver, and in the process put it all on raided IDE
drives so one HD failure doesn't provoke heart failure or
stroke.

Actual backups have been of limited use to me at anytime in
the last 10 years. That encompases about six disasterous
failures! In no case was the backup/restore procedures of
any use in recovering the really important lost data.
Generally because the failure occurred shortly before
another backup was done, and 24 hours of work was lost. In
one case, even though I had tested the backup and restore
software nine times, really!, the tenth time I had
unreadable tapes, and that was when I needed it! Hence, my
decisiion to use raid.

Any specific hints or tips along this line?

Thanks!
Dennis