Re: problem compiling a new gcc version.

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:05:59 +1100
Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 10:37:01PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> > could it be that this is specific to my kernel or is it a configuration problem with my current locales?
> > I hope this is not too specific, I could mail to the gcc people but I haven't had this problem under other
> > systems so I figured it might be a misconfiguration somewhere?
>
> I've no idea how to actually fix this, but I would recommend getting the
> gcc-3.2 source package from sid and building that, so you don't clutter
> up /usr/; plus, it's know to be buildable.
>
> -rob

Aha. Should've known that one :)

I found out what the problem is. The glibc version (2.2.4 or something I think) had a bug that didn't allow this
gcc version to be built. So I basically upgraded glibc a couple of notches, then upgraded gcc to 3.0.4, then upgraded
glibc again and then went for gcc 3.2, after which I upgraded glibc to the latest version.

I like building my own packages, but I agree, this one was a bit of a hassle.

greets,
Wim