Weird Numlock problem

After some tinkering with my system involving the installation of
Nvidia OpenGL drivers, I have a weird problem with the Numlock key.

I have KDE installed. When I boot up I get some nice blue
background and a login screen with a Debian logo; I suppose this
is kdm. I like this kdm thing but I never choose kde as window
manager; usually icewm or fvwm95.

Now since a few days the NumLock key has stopped working in icewm
and fvwm95. That is, if I press it, the NumLock light goes on and
off, but pressing the keys on the keypad only produces numbers,
never "arrow movements". This happens in all programs which I have
running in fvwm95 or icewm -- except, strangely enough, in xdosemu.

However, when I choose KDE as window manager, the Numlock key
works normally.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting back my NumLock key in
fvwm95 / icewm? One obvious suggestion would be to go back to the
"nv" video driver instead of the new "nvidia" -- I tried that but
it does not help.

Regards, Jan