Building mod_perl with stock openssl -- how?

I'm trying to install apache by source with mod_ssl and mod_perl, but I am
running into a problem with the "SSL_BASE=" part of the mod_perl
configuration.

What's happening is that when SSL_BASE=/usr is specified, it finds the
openssl binary, but not the libraries.  And when I use
SSL_BASE=/usr/lib/ssl, that finds libraries, but not the binaries.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in this case?

Thanks in advance,

Bill