Re: OT: functional languages (was: Politics of Java)

Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2002-12-13T14:52:51Z, Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> writes:
>
> > Yes.  So is Ocaml and I think Scheme also.
>
> Since Scheme is a Lisp derivative, yes, it's also a functional language.

Scheme is a functional language; but I hesitate to call Lisp
"functional". In fact, Scheme was originally developed as a
simplification of Lisp to focus on functional programming. Lisp can be
used in a functional way, but also has imperative features. In fact, by
modern standards, even Scheme is not a "purely" functional language; its
expressions can have side effects, variables can be reassigned, etc.

Craig