Re: OT: functional languages (was: Politics of Java)

martin f krafft wrote:

> while C is an imperative language, Erlang is a functional or
> procedural language. (correct me if i am wrong, folks). it has no
> loops, assignments, variables or whatever.
>
> Since Lisp is very similar, I was wondering if it's also "functional"...

You're mangling things badly here. A quick perusal of the haskell.org
website should help; they have links to a number of introductory papers
and tutorials about functional programming.

Briefly, though, procedural languages are a subclass of imperative
languages. Pascal and C, for example, are procedural. Functional languages
are quite different.

Craig