Re: Getting rid of gnome and kde

Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> writes:

> For some reason on the laptop I just installed debian on, I ended up with
> kde and gnome as the default desktops. I want my fvwm back! How do I rid
> myself of these?
>
> Thanks.

What I did to completelyy get rid of GNOME was to 'apt-get remove' one of
the essential GNOME .so files and that will then uninstall the whole bunch
of programs and libraries, all GNOME related.

To be sure, look at the output of 'apt-get -s remove' before doing it.

Sorry, can't tell you which .so file to uninstall, I don't have GNOME on my
machine any more. :-)

I assume, similar trick works for KDE.

Again, I am not sure how much is that in a Debian way, but other will
correct me if there is a better way.

If you just want to change your default window manager, I am not sure how
to do it. I usually start fvwm from my .xinitrc.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer