Re: mail basics on a debian system

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:55:06PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 06:42:46PM +0100, Robert Land wrote:
> > Good idea, found the setting in login.defs. I did a:
> >
> > MAIL_DIR        /var/spool/mail
> > #MAIL_FILE      .mail
> > MAILFILE        /home/rland/muttmail/inbox
> >
> > ...hoping that this setting would duplicate the mail
> > sent to root, so that one day when I change my rland
> > inbox to another name and forget to update login.defs,
> > no mail will be lost for a program that might choose
> > to use the MAIL env variable instead of using port 25.
> >
> > Unfortunatly man login.defs does not mention this duplication
> > and I have no idea which programs use $MAILDIR to test.
> >
> > But, just noticed when logging in as root I get a:
> > "configuration error - unknown item 'MAILFILE'
> > (notify administrator)".
> >
> > This is awful.
>
> Shouldn't you keep it as MAIL_FILE?

Oh my dear - what a mistake!
I guess these variables are only relevant when no mta is watching
port 25. This would suite Colins explaination in the other sub
thread - at least it would make sense.

> BTW scratch MAILPATH advice. I've just experimented with it and mutt's
> ignoring it. Seems it only recognises it as a compiled-in default.

Could you put the first sentence in other words - I do have
some difficulties reading short forms.
Is there a website for short forms so I can wget it?

> > At least _someone_ using a older mua as I do - that nice!...
>
> It's there, it works... end of story!

Should stop stuttering when hacking on the kboard - I ment
"thats nice". Awful reading one's own messages and realizing
all those typos.

Robert