Re: mail basics on a debian system

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:07:13PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:

> Without knowing the details of your setup, I don't know if you've
> configured it so that nothing ever ends up in /var/spool/mail/rland. I
> think the safest thing to do is to set MAILPATH to include both
> /var/spool/mail and whatever directory your custom inbox is in, so you
> don't miss anything.

Good idea, found the setting in login.defs. I did a:

MAIL_DIR        /var/spool/mail
#MAIL_FILE      .mail
MAILFILE        /home/rland/muttmail/inbox

...hoping that this setting would duplicate the mail
sent to root, so that one day when I change my rland
inbox to another name and forget to update login.defs,
no mail will be lost for a program that might choose
to use the MAIL env variable instead of using port 25.

Unfortunatly man login.defs does not mention this duplication
and I have no idea which programs use $MAILDIR to test.

But, just noticed when logging in as root I get a:
"configuration error - unknown item 'MAILFILE'
(notify administrator)".

This is awful.

> > By the way, does Mutt 1.4 enable to jump up to previous messages
> > (whilest in the pager). The version 1.0.1i only allows me to 'space'
> > me downwards in a thread.
>
> I've got mutt 0.95.3i and the default keybindings allow me to do this
> with left-arrow and right-arrow for previous and next message
> respectively.

At least _someone_ using a older mua as I do - that nice!...

Robert