Re: mail basics on a debian system

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 06:42:46PM +0100, Robert Land wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:07:13PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > Without knowing the details of your setup, I don't know if you've
> > configured it so that nothing ever ends up in /var/spool/mail/rland. I
> > think the safest thing to do is to set MAILPATH to include both
> > /var/spool/mail and whatever directory your custom inbox is in, so you
> > don't miss anything.
>
> Good idea, found the setting in login.defs. I did a:
>
> MAIL_DIR        /var/spool/mail
> #MAIL_FILE      .mail
> MAILFILE        /home/rland/muttmail/inbox
>
> ...hoping that this setting would duplicate the mail
> sent to root, so that one day when I change my rland
> inbox to another name and forget to update login.defs,
> no mail will be lost for a program that might choose
> to use the MAIL env variable instead of using port 25.
>
> Unfortunatly man login.defs does not mention this duplication
> and I have no idea which programs use $MAILDIR to test.
>
> But, just noticed when logging in as root I get a:
> "configuration error - unknown item 'MAILFILE'
> (notify administrator)".
>
> This is awful.

Shouldn't you keep it as MAIL_FILE?

BTW scratch MAILPATH advice. I've just experimented with it and mutt's
ignoring it. Seems it only recognises it as a compiled-in default.
mutt -v lists quite a few of these in a format which made me think it
was possible to override them with an environment variable. My mistake.

> At least _someone_ using a older mua as I do - that nice!...

It's there, it works... end of story!

Pigeon