XTerm.alwaysHighlight

I use xterm for all of my X11-based terminal needs. I'm used to a lot of
its features. One of the features I'm used to is focus being indicated by
whether the block cursor is solid (has focus) or outline (doesn't have
focus). For some reason, however, my xterms sometimes just keep the block
cursor solid no matter what (which causes me to type in the wrong window as
I automatically assume that the xterm with the solid cursor is focused).

There is a workaround, which is to check Secure Keyboard in the ctrl-left
menu, move out of the window, then back into the window, then uncheck
Secure Keyboard. It is annoying, however.

I have not been able to identify when or how it is caused. It is possible
that having made libXaw a symbolic link to libXaw3d, it has something to do
with that, but since I can't dependably reproduce it I haven't been able to
test that theory. I am absolutely certain that alwaysHighlight (which
disables the focus indication) is set to false:

% appres XTerm | grep -i always
XTerm*alwaysHighlight:  false
% appres xterm | grep -i always
%

Version details:

xterm 4.2.1-3
xlibs 4.2.1-3
xaw3dg 1.5-20
sawfish 1:1.1a-5

The window manager may or may not be irrelevant. Has anyone else
experienced this? Does anyone know what's causing it, or have a fix?

--Greg