Re: DWL-650 Wireless NIC

Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:04:55PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

I've recently installed the orinoco gold card and it's working very well. Except it keeps dropping down to 2MB even when 5' away. I don't know how this can be managed from the drivers or what can be 'tweaked'.

I am also using an orinoco gold card and orinoco WAP, but I cannot get
WEP working. Have you?

Yes I have!

/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts has to include the line similar to this:

KEY="s:abcdefghijklm"

Where abcdefghijklm is the String expression of the Key, not HEX. I entered the same into the WAP and voila! It's working fine. It took me a while to figure this out. I used 'makepasswd' to create a 13 character string for a password. It can be alphanumeric and caps are optional.

That was all I did for WEP.

run iwconfig as root/sudo and it will show you if the Encryption Key is being used.

--
Beggars should be no choosers.
		-- John Heywood