Tulip driver bundled with Woody 3.0_r0 Fails dhcp

Ive ran debian 2.2r3 for several years now.  Box
crashed on me, so figure might as well start clean
with woody 3.0

Ive tried several attemps at installing woody, whether
it be by minimal cd image, full disk 1 cd image, or
bootdisks.  Each one fails when i try to configure
network with dhcp.

I have a LNE100TX Linksys card, which states uses the
Tulip driver, and it has used it on potato, and also
when ive played with rh, slack, and mandrake

After searching around i found out the tulip version
from potato is to be tulip.c:v0.89K.1 3/16/99, and
that woody comes bundeled with 0.9.15

Is there problems with that driver at all?

Secondly, when i ran potato, i always updated the
kernel to 2.4.18, and ive never had any problems.

So, ive determined theres just something wrong with
that tulip driver with woody, i do see there is an
updated one at ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/tulip.c

So now my question is, do i just put that on a floppy,
and load that up as the driver i want to use during
install?  Or would it be better to install 2.2r3 and
then try to upgrade it to woody through apt ?

Please leave any suggestions.
thanks
-paul