Optimizing Debian

Hi,
I am a new Debian user. I used to work in Mandrake and there the x86 packages are compiled for i586, while in Debian they are compiled for i386. From my experience, I know you can improve the performance recompiling the kernel for your particular machine architecture, but I am not sure about how much you will improve the overall performace recompiling also some of the packages (as for example glibc). I would like to know how you expect this to affect performance in new computers with PIV and AthlonXP processors.

alcachi