Re: Installing a CD burner and USB head card

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Barry Cugley wrote:

> Hello
>
> My system is Debian V3 with kernel 2.4.18 on a 200Mhz Pentium.
>
> I have just installed a USB head card which has two connections for external
> devices.  I have connected a CD burner to the head card. The CD burner is an
> external Iomega, Predator, CD-RW having a speed of 4*4*6 on USB 1.1.
>
> Debian has to be able to find the new hardware (USB head card and CD burner)
> and I am not sure it has done this.
> Q1. How can I find out if the hardware has been found and what do I do if it
> has not been found?

1.) Check out the USB
documentation: http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/book1.html
2.) use lspci to check that the USB card is found (and, usually, to find
out which module to use)
3.) Recompile the kernel, if necessary, to include (at least) usbcore,
usb-{o|u}hci (where o or u is based on what module you need from
2.) above), and usb-storage

> A driver for the CD burner has to be found and installed.
> Q2. How might I choose a driver and where should I look for it?

You shouldn't need a special driver - if usb-storage is working right it
should pop up as a (pseudo) SCSI cd writer.  From there, use cdrecord or
xcdroast to write the CD's.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu