Re: build an overloaded linux server

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 07:53:50PM +0800, Patrick Hsieh wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> For experimental requirement, I want to build an overloaded linux server in
> which openssh is binding tcp port 22. The criteria is, when a ssh client is
> connecting to the sshd on the overloaded one, the sshd will take more than 60
> seconds to respond.(that is, tcp socket established but the sshd hangs over
> 60 seconds)
>
> Is there any trick to build this overloaded server?

Can't think of any trick aside from hacking the Linux TCP/IP stack, or
adding a sleep(60) statement in the OpenSSH source right before it
accepts connections ;-)

More seriously, FreeBSD has a special network driver for faking broken
network connections like this.  No idea if Linux has anything similar,
but I'm sure someone has tried something like this, somewhere...

-rob