Re: acroread and anti-aliased text [solved]

Tom Badran wrote:
On Tuesday 10 Dec 2002 4:36 pm, Brian Stults wrote:

Hello,

When I generate pdf's and view them in acroread (5.0.5) the fonts are
very fuzzy.  For example...  I create a file in OpenOffice using the
Arial font which is anti-aliased.  I then print it to a postscript file.
 If I view it through gv, it looks just as fuzzy at first, but then I
choose to antialias it, and it looks great.  Then I convert it to a pdf
using ps2pdf.  When I view it in gv, it still looks great.  When I view
it in acroread, it looks very fuzzy.  Even when I view it in acroread
under MS Windows, it looks very bad.

This problem is to do with openoffice's printer font replacement.

To fix it, run oopadmin, click on the properties buttin for your printer, and make sure you have "enable font replacement" turned on, and there should be about 8 replacements including "Arial -> Helvetica" and "Times New Roman -> Times". If you turn this off, your pdfs will be very poor quality under anything but ghostscript viewers (gv, ggv, kghostview etc).

Hope this helps

Tom

Enabling font replacement did the trick. Thanks so much! I've been living with ugly pdf's for a while now - booting my laptop into Windows to generate them when it mattered. This is like a breath of fresh air. I've made about 10 meaningless pdf's in the past 15 minutes just to see how pretty they are.

Thanks again!

--
Brian J. Stults                  Department of Sociology
phone: (352) 392-0265 x286       University of Florida