Re: server monitoring program

Hi Kevin,

> I'm looking for a program that does simple testing to see if these sites
> are "just up and running" (i.e. as simple as a periodic ping).  Almost
> needless to say, I'm not on the same network as these machines, so
> firewalls will be present on both my end and the server end.

Haven't tried it on Debian yet, but no reason it shouldn't work: Sysmon - http://www.sysmon.org/.

I like the fact that it takes into account you have dependencies in a network; ie. for your specific host to be reachable, your sysmon box's gateway has to be up aswell as the monitored host's gateway.

Plus, it's as easy as it comes installing and setting up.

HTH... Nico