Re: Debian System requirements

At 07:07 PM 12/9/02 -0800, Ben Jamer wrote:
>hello! i was looking for the system reuqirements for
>debian, but not the normal ones. I'm looking for the
>newest distro that will run on a 486/66dx2 with 24
>megs of ram and a 1 gig hdd.

the answer is yes, and no

you can do a base install no problem.

from there it depends what you're trying to do with it.

text mode web-browsing,  emailing, and text editing will be
fine,

limited file/print/email/firewalling and web serving will also work.

you *might* be able to get a graphical environment going,
but only something very stripped back. (no KDE or GNOME,
probably not enlightenment, most other windowmanagers
might be OK)

icewm looks a lot like windows and could be OK.

from there lightweight programs might work for you,

ie abiword for word processing, but don't even think about
Open Office, dillo for webrowsing, maybe phoenix.

you'd better figure out your needs and wants very carefully.

given what you can buy second hand for $200 it might not
be worth your time.

    Not yet is the spirit of that pristine valour
    extinct in you, when girt with steel and lofty flames
    once we fought against the empire of heaven.
    We were -- that I will not deny -- vanquished in that conflict:
    yet the great intention was not lacking in nobility.
    Something or other gave Him victory: to us remained
    the glory of a dauntless daring.
    And even if my troop fell thence vanquished,
    yet to have attempted a lofty enterprise is still a trophy.

    --From La Strage degli Innocenti (The Slaughter of the
Innocents) by Giambattista Marino (1569-1625)