Re: lilo hangs @ 'L'

> A better solution of course would be to simply
> reinstall Lilo

reinstall Lilo?  Do you mean simply type lilo at
the prompt or apt-get reinstall install lilo?

> to the MBR - it will boot '95 just fine, but try the
> above if
> you don't want to go that route.
>
> As well as this:
>
> On my system: /usr/doc/lilo-0.19-1/README
>
> I'll paste some relevant parts here:
>
> When LILO loads itself, it displays the word "LILO".
> Each letter is printed
> before or after performing some specific action. If
> LILO fails at some
> point, the letters printed so far can be used to
> identify the problem. This
> is described in more detail in the technical overview.
>
> [snip]
>
>   L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been
> loaded and started,
>    but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The
> two-digit error
>    codes indicate the type of problem. (See also
> section "Disk error
>    codes".) This condition usually indicates a media
> failure or a geometry
>    mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section
> "Disk geometry").
>
> What exactly have you got in the MBR, btw? ;-)

lilo.conf

lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda1
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
prompt
timeout=150
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=Linux-2.4.14
        read-only
        optional

fstab
/dev/hda1       /               reiserfs        defaults,notail 0       0
/dev/hda2       /home           reiserfs        defaults,notail 0       0
/dev/hda3       /pub            ext2            defaults                0