Re: How insecure are cable connections, versus dialup?

Your exposure is how much time you spend connected.  Cable or dial-up
makes little difference.  In both cases you should have a firewall.
Disabling unneeded servers is a good idea in all cases.  Debian 3.0
installs and enables all kinds of insecure services (e.g., SunRPC,
portmapper) by default.

Jeffrey