Re: Doing an "apt-get --purge remove" after an earlier "remove"?

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 05:36:40AM -0500, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
> So 'dpkg --purge dpsyco-base dpsyco-lib' has no effect? That would be
> strange. I ask because you might have just tried 'dpkg --purge dpsyco',
> which does indeed appear to have been removed, but not the dpsyco
> packages it depends on.
>
>> Results of "dlocate dpsyco" ...
>>
>>   dpsyco-lib: /etc/dpsyco
>>   dpsyco-lib: /etc/dpsyco/defaults.conf
>>   dpsyco-base: /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90dpsyco
>>   dpsyco-base: /etc/dpsyco/groups.conf
>>   dpsyco-base: /etc/dpsyco/users.conf
>
> That does indeed suggest that it's those packages you need to purge.
>
> Cheers,

Aha!  Yes, that did the trick.  I incorrectly assumed that dpsyco-lib
and dpsyco-base would be dependent on dpsyco, and therefore should have
been removed during the dpsyco purge.  The dependencies were apparently
the other way around.

Also, I didn't really understand until now the full significance of the
dlocate output.

Thank you very much.

--
 Lloyd Zusman