Re: Doing an "apt-get --purge remove" after an earlier "remove"?

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 05:36:40AM -0500, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> > Erm, if it's been removed and there are no conffiles and no post-removal
> > script, then there should be nothing left to remove. Otherwise it's a
> > bug. Could you elaborate on what package you're talking about?
>
> Well, there are several, but the package that comes to mind right now is
> "dpsyco".  I installed it, but subsequently decided that I didn't want
> it, so I then removed it.  Even after the removal and the "--purge"
> discussed in this thread, I still have the following files and
> directories on my system (see below).
>
> The one which causes a noticeable problem is the first one ("90dpsyco"),
> since it runs and prints and error message every time I do an "apt-get
> install" of other packages.  It's a benign error (due to "|| true" in
> DPkg::Post-Invoke), but I believe that it shouldn't be happening at all.
>
> Results of "locate dpsyco" ...
>
>   /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90dpsyco
>   /etc/dpsyco
>   /var/cache/apt/archives/dpsyco-base_1.0.10_all.deb
>   /var/cache/apt/archives/dpsyco_1.0.10_all.deb
>   /var/lib/dpkg/info/dpsyco-base.list
>   /var/lib/dpkg/info/dpsyco-lib.list
>   /var/lib/dpkg/info/dpsyco-lib.postrm

So 'dpkg --purge dpsyco-base dpsyco-lib' has no effect? That would be
strange. I ask because you might have just tried 'dpkg --purge dpsyco',
which does indeed appear to have been removed, but not the dpsyco
packages it depends on.

> Results of "dlocate dpsyco" ...
>
>   dpsyco-lib: /etc/dpsyco
>   dpsyco-lib: /etc/dpsyco/defaults.conf
>   dpsyco-base: /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90dpsyco
>   dpsyco-base: /etc/dpsyco/groups.conf
>   dpsyco-base: /etc/dpsyco/users.conf

That does indeed suggest that it's those packages you need to purge.

Cheers,