Re: file system

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 23:12:54 -0500
"Bruce Park" <bpark79@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Debian users,
>
> I need some help regarding file system in Linux. Currently, I have four
> partitions on my hard drive. I will use Grub's notation for representing an
> IDE primary-master hard drive
>
> hd0,0  - Windows  (NTFS)
> hd0,1  - boot      (ext 2)
> hd0,2  - swap     (swap)
> hd0,3  - root       (ext 3)
>
> When I boot using Grub, I'm having problems loading the linux portion.
> Here's what I have in /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> title Debian GNU/Linux
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2-4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda4 ro
>
> I keep getting an error stating that it wants an ext 2 file type. I'm
> thinking that since boot is ext2 and root is ext3, this is causing this
> problem. I would like to solve this problem by converting the boot partition
> to ext 3. Would this solve the problem? If so, how can I perform such file
> conversion without losing data in that partition?
>
> bp
The only way I know of is to back up that partition somewhere and redo it totally.   The /boot partition usually doesnt hold too much.
slamson@callerio:~$ du -sch /boot/*
272K    /boot/System.map-2.2.19pre17
424K    /boot/System.map-2.4.19
428K    /boot/System.map-2.4.19-new
432K    /boot/System.map-2.4.19a
432K    /boot/System.map-2.4.19a-old
16K     /boot/config-2.2.19pre17
384K    /boot/grub
4.0K    /boot/lost+found
84K     /boot/memtest86.bin
984K    /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17
1004K   /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19
1000K   /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-new
1.1M    /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19a
1.1M    /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19a-old
7.4M    total
and I don't really need a lot of that... it is leftover stuff.  See how tiny my vmlinuz-2.4.19-new is?  Great job Shawn!
this sequence should work for you:
cd /
mkdir newboot
cp -r boot/* newboot
#verify the contents of newboot here
umount /boot
mke2fs -j /dev/hda2  #or however you would do it, i have never done ext3
mount -t ext3? /dev/hda2 /boot
cp newboot/* boot

You get the idea!

HTH