Re: clearing the screen

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 05:49:47PM -0600, Justin Ryan wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 17:43, Simon Law wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:40:19PM -0800, Dominic Iadicicco wrote:
> > > How do I set it up in bash, so that when I logout it
> > > will clear the screen first?
> >
> > 	Use the .bash_logout file to declare what you want to do when
> > logging out.
>
> Unless you aren't using bash ;p
>
> Someone on #debian once told me how to handle this in a more elegant
> manner... Unfortunately, I can't remember - but it was a system-wide
> config file..
>
> Anyone know what I'm talking about?  Perhaps the pertinent maintainer
> could be asked to place this as a default, as it is not uncommon to
> expect the system to clear the screen when you logout, and can be a
> security risk if you do not..

A few ideas:

1) Edit /etc/issue so that the 'clear' sequence is sent to the console
when /etc/issue is displayed (and it's displayed right after you log
out).

How to do it?

  # clear > clear.txt
  # cat clear.txt /etc/issue > /tmp/issue
  # cp /tmp/issue /etc/issue

I don't recommend this method.

2) If you are not running a framebuffer on the VT where your console
is, install mingetty.  It clears the screen when you logout.  Note
that mingetty and devfs can have interesting interactions if you
aren't careful.

3) If you are using a framebuffer, install fbgetty.  It also clears
the screen when you log out.  Note that some people (like Linus) say
that anyone who runs a framebuffer console is insane.  OTOH, on some
arches it's not even an option to not use a framebuffer ...

HTH,

  Q:      What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?