Re: clearing the screen

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 05:49:47PM -0600, Justin Ryan wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 17:43, Simon Law wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:40:19PM -0800, Dominic Iadicicco wrote:
> > > How do I set it up in bash, so that when I logout it
> > > will clear the screen first?
> >
> > 	Use the .bash_logout file to declare what you want to do when
> > logging out.
>
> Unless you aren't using bash ;p

	I'd like to point out that Dominic specifically specified Bash.

> Someone on #debian once told me how to handle this in a more elegant
> manner... Unfortunately, I can't remember - but it was a system-wide
> config file..
>
> Anyone know what I'm talking about?  Perhaps the pertinent maintainer
> could be asked to place this as a default, as it is not uncommon to
> expect the system to clear the screen when you logout, and can be a
> security risk if you do not..

	One could wrap around /usr/bin/login to clear the screen before
prompting each time.  But that probably has nasty side-effects that I
haven't considered.

Simon

P.S.	Please don't CC me on mailing list posts.  I already read the
	list, so I'll see it there.  Thanks.