Re: changing a computer's name

sean finney wrote:
have you restarted those daemons?  i think some of them may make a single
call to hostname when they start up, and never ask again until they
reload or restart.

Yes, when I saw that the old name was being used, I figured someone must be caching it somewhere. Since I didn't know which processes or how many, I took the easy way out and rebooted. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have changed the situation -- it looks like the old name must be stored in a file somewhere that the daemons are reading.

- Jeff