Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:16:29 +0000
"Stig Are M. Botterli" <samb@mo.himolde.no> wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 20021205080347.GE7442@ursine>, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:04:34AM +0000, Stig Are M. Botterli
> > wrote:> Basically, if my /boot/vmlinuz image exceeds a certain size
> > (the limit se=> ems be
> >> somewhere around 900000 bytes), the following occurs on boot:
> >
> > Whoa!  Huge kernel!  Module some of that stuff out and it should
> > help if there's some hidden size limitation.  I have a pretty big
> > kernel, the bzImage is 644,225 bytes.
>
> I did this, and got the kernel down to 719kB. However, the exact same
> thing occurs on boot (minus the three last lines, as I included NTFS-
> support as a module), so a hidden size limitation is obviously not the
> problem. Now I'm really wondering what actually 'solved' it for me
> with 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre10. My 2.4.20-pre10 (+ RML's preemption
> patch) image at 865kB boots, whereas an image approx. 20kB bigger
> panicked, and the only thing I can recall changing was turning some
> non-essential things into modules. That's why I was certain the
> problem was related to the size of the kernel image.

I had kernels bigger than 1 MB - no problem.
It would help if you remember what things you configured as modules.
If you got i.e a driver for the wrong sound card compiled in the kernel
it can give you a kernel panic.If it is compiled as module the module
just doesn't load.

Have fun,

Klaus