Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

In article <[🔎] 20021205080347.GE7442@ursine>, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:04:34AM +0000, Stig Are M. Botterli wrote:
>> Basically, if my /boot/vmlinuz image exceeds a certain size (the limit se=
>> ems be
>> somewhere around 900000 bytes), the following occurs on boot:
>
> Whoa!  Huge kernel!  Module some of that stuff out and it should
> help if there's some hidden size limitation.  I have a pretty big
> kernel, the bzImage is 644,225 bytes.

I did this, and got the kernel down to 719kB. However, the exact same
thing occurs on boot (minus the three last lines, as I included NTFS-
support as a module), so a hidden size limitation is obviously not the
problem. Now I'm really wondering what actually 'solved' it for me with
2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre10. My 2.4.20-pre10 (+ RML's preemption patch)
image at 865kB boots, whereas an image approx. 20kB bigger panicked, and
the only thing I can recall changing was turning some non-essential
things into modules. That's why I was certain the problem was related to
the size of the kernel image.

>> hdc6: bad access: block=3D2, count=3D2
>> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:06 (hdc), sector 2
>> EXT3-fs: Unable to read superblock
>> hdc6: bad access: block=3D2, count=3D2
>> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:06 (hdc), sector 2
>> EXT2-fs: Unable to read superblock
>> hdc6: bad access: block=3D0, count=3D1
>> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:06 (hdc), sector 0
>> NTFS: Reading super block failed
>> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:06
>
> Is your drive going bad?  Are the filesystems OK?

I've seen nothing to indicate that there's anything wrong with neither
my drives nor my filesystems. The system operates fine once booted.