Realtek NIC and Modem trouble.

This is long and quite confusing but bear with me please. :)

Ive recently installed Debian on one of my old machines that I sold to a mate of mine about 6 months ago. The maximum network speed I could get to his machine was 15 k/s. The activity light flashes only occasionally. I have tryed a heap of things trying to get it working properly, resetting the bios defaults, trying the options like pio instead of mmio in the kernel config. The NIC is a Realtek 8139 and the driver used is 8139too.

The only way I have found to get it to work is:
1. wget a file off my machine.
2. deconfigure and unload the network driver.
3. reload the network driver and reconfigure the device.
4. Kill and restart wget.
5. Network works at full speed until a reboot.

Note wget must be left running at step 1 until step 4 otherwise it will still run slow.

Also on the same machine the modem refuses to work. Programs like KPPP report errors like "The modem did not respond".  The modem is definitely not a software modem as I have used it in my 486 based router machines.  If I use "echo ATDT087303030 > /dev/ttyS2" After about 10 seconds the modem picks up the line then hangs up immediately. If I put and "&" at the end of the echo command and run it multiple times after about 10 seconds the modem dials the number and about 5 seconds into negotiating it hangs up.

All the hardware above worked fine for me 6 months ago but not now. Both the modem and NIC work fine under Win2k. The motherboard is a Asus CUV4X with a VIA Chipset.

Ill be happy to send any more details if needed.
Hopefully someone can help me.

~Mike