problem with voodoo 3 and multiple X servers

I don't use multiple X servers too often but I think that since X 4.x there are some problems when running multiple X servers on same machine (voodoo 3 card).

I have dri enabled, it works ok. as long as I run only one instance of X it works without any problems.

the problem as manifested now is: I am running one X server (0) fvwm, it works without problems.

I started another X server (1), runing kde and openoffice (started using startx from virtual console). from time to time it almost stops reacting, it doesn't update screen properly, only fonts are redrawn, the rest of the screen seems to be frozen (the effect is that the screen gets overwritten by text that seems to be slightly relevant to what should be going on, e.g. when I go to menu and this happens the menu is not updated anymore but near menu the menu item labels are redrawn (text only)).

 when I switch to another vt and back it works ok, for some time.

it seems like everytime this happens the following message is printed on the console where X was started from:

Resetting FIFO

googling revealed that some people had the same message printed when using xinerama, didn't find any resolution for that but not sure it's rlated.

I also foound somewhat similar debian bug 164303, that one was closed because submitter said he found out that it's a hw problem...

  any ideas on what's going on or how to troubleshoot?

  system:

    debian unstable
    kernel 2.4.18 (with tdfx)
    ii  xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-4
00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 3 (rev 01)

  TIA!

	erik