Re: Reset old package state after running dselect's install

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 06:40:38PM +0100, Holger_ wrote:

> I've got two questions:
> 1) how can I get dselect to ignore the settings I (somehow)
> selected during the last dselect session (reset the packages
> info to the currently installed state. Right now, dselect
> tells me for instance, that the package samba2.999+3.0alpha...
> *is* already installed. But, as I said above, I stopped installation
> before downloading of all packages was complete. So I still have
> the old samba2.0.5a).

try moving /var/lib/dpkg/status to another filename. Then
"cp var/lib/dpkg/status.old  /var/lib/dpkg/status". If that doesn't
reset dselect selections, try one of the older backups in /var/backup.

> 2) What went wrong such that dselect updated quite freely
> to the alpha versions (how do I get dselect only using certain packages from
> the unstable branch, but not any others?)

Once you set sources.list to point to unstable and did an update,
running dselect is sort of like running "apt-get dist-upgrade". If you
only want to install one package from unstable, run "apt-get -u -t unstable
install package_name". "-u" will force apt-get to list what extra
packages will be installed, and you can abort if you don't like what
is happening. An alternative is to download the package and install
with "dpkg -i".

--
Jerome