Reset old package state after running dselect's install

I posted the message before, but it appeared in the wrong
thread. So here it is again:

In order to get *one* package from the unstable branch,
I added the unstable entry to the sources.list and run
dselect. For some reason, not only the *one* required
package from the unstable branch has been selected, but
a whole lot of other stuff to be updated (like samba,
xserver and the like).
However, I guess, that's not what I want (believe me,
I had enough to do for getting my video card running
after upgrading some packages from the unstable branch).

So I stopped dselect while downloading via Ctrl-C,
and quit dselect.

I've got two questions:
1) how can I get dselect to ignore the settings I (somehow)
selected during the last dselect session (reset the packages
info to the currently installed state. Right now, dselect
tells me for instance, that the package samba2.999+3.0alpha...
*is* already installed. But, as I said above, I stopped installation
before downloading of all packages was complete. So I still have
the old samba2.0.5a).

2) What went wrong such that dselect updated quite freely
to the alpha versions (how do I get dselect only using certain packages from
the unstable branch, but not any others?)

Thanks in advance,
Holger

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
Virus news: www.antiviruslab.com