Re: Help configuring old mozilla compile

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 01:59:11AM -0500, Travis Crump wrote:
> Oki DZ wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:24:11AM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> >
> >>But I've got this infuriating circular problem. It wants to link with
> >>the libraries libjs.a and libjsj.a. What source package are these provided
> >>by? Mozilla. Can I figure out how to get it to build them before it
> >>wants to link with them? No. The docs that came with the package? It's
> >>more or less a case of 'what docs?'
> >
> > Looks like a lot of questions to me...
> > What about setting your sources.list into unstable, and then apt-getting
> > the mozilla-snapshot? I've been using it for a while; I don't think that
> > I have encountered the problems you had.
> >
> > Oki
>
> I am guessing, but since libjs.a and libjsj.a aren't in the current
> compiled mozilla tree[there is libjsj.so, but nothing ~close~ to
> libjs.a], I think he is trying to compile the slink version of mozilla,
> a snapshot from 10/1998.  This is pretty much guaranteed to be a piece
> of crap no matter how you compile it.

Read the first line of my original post... :-)

I thought all versions of netscape/mozilla were crap, just some were
more crap than others?

I'm used to using Netscape 4.06 in Windoze. I find it OK, apart from
occasionally wanting 400 meg of memory for no apparent reason, and the
continual javascript errors - which probably mean some really annoying
piece of crap on the website has just failed, so I don't mind that.
The slink mozilla, which is schizy and calls itself Netscape Lite
5.0a1, looks and feels pretty much the same, apart from lacking some
of the flashy extra bits which I never use anyway. So I'm happy with
it, apart from infuriating stuff like the URL bar not working and the
error messages which occur while everything is working.

Looking at the woody version, the complexity of the source is vastly
greater but the documentation is if anything worse. And it seems I
still need extra stuff to compile it, and what's the point of the
latest version? I like to stick with the earliest version that
provides all the features I want, cos it's generally smaller and
faster, and there isn't a shed-load of extra crap getting in the way.

(I once tried Netscape 6 in Windoze on a 90Mz Pentium. Forget it.
S...o... s....l.....o.......w........ I can't drink that much tea.)

The slink mozilla deb includes libjs.a but not libjsj.a. There isn't
(correct me if I'm wrong) a website with a package search page for the
slink archives, but looking for clues by searching woody from the
website, I find that libjsj.a is provided by libmozillasomething-dev
(forget the exact name), the source code of which is the whole mozilla
source package. And indeed the slink mozilla compilation is trying to
build a libjsj.a, a half-assed debug version that is not complete
enough to allow me to use it as a fudge.

I know this is an old package, but there must be someone out there who
remembers compiling it when it was a new package?

Pigeon