Re: what's everyone's favorite audio setup?

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 11:39, Tom Badran wrote:
> On Sunday 01 Dec 2002 9:07 pm, sean finney wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > i'm getting tired by my many audio-wanting apps not getting along
> > with one another, and i'm looking to switch to some kind of audio
> > environment that allows multiple programs access to the soundcard
> > at the same time.  i know there are a few programs out there
> > that do this (libarts, esd, ...?), but i'd like to hear from other
> > folks and get their opinions for the better or worse before starting
> > experimenting myself.
>
> This feature seems to have quietly slipped in to ALSA 0.9 without much
> fanfare. I can use a variety of apps (not more than one oss one mind you) at
> the same time, and this isnt a sound blaster live :)
>
> If your apps dont have alsa and only oss support though, i would reccomend
> arts. Ive been using it for a while.

All sound apps should work with alsa using alsa's OSS compatibility
layer. My wife's laptop's sound card (ES1968) can't multiplex sounds
with the OSS driver, but does just fine with the ALSA driver, and most
of her sound-using apps are OSS only. No arts or esd in sight.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA