ipsec (freeswan)

Hi,

Is someone using ipsec from freeswan?

I run stable, and I tried the freeswan 1.96, but when I go through the
documentations it says to run ipsec verify, which give me the error
that verify is not an option. I took the tar file from freeswan site
and I did make install. Now I have the verify option, but it says that
the Pluto service is not working. The solution for it (from the
documentation) is to run "service ipsec start", which I don't understand.
I try /etc/init.d/ipsec start, but there is no such file
/etc/init.d/ipsec, same for /etc/init.d/freeswan.

I am stuck, I don't know what next.

What I am trying to do is to conect to the work network using VPN.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
        Ionel