Re: Woes with X config

hey drew,

this question comes up quite a bit--and personally is still the biggest
headache i get when installing new systems.  here's my suggested solution.
if you have doubts about any of these steps don't hesitate to ask!

- roll your own kernel with make-kpkg, or at least install the
  kernel-headers package for your kernel version.  i recommend the
  second for your case, so you can learn about one thing at a time :)
# cd /usr/src/linux && make-kpkg binary
(then look for debs in /usr/src, or)
# apt-get install kernel-headers-2.x.x
(note you need to replace the x's with your kernel version)

- install the following packages:
# apt-get install nvidia-glx-src nvidia-kernel-src
- extract the nvidia module source
# cd /usr/src && tar xvfz nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz
- build the kernel module for the nvidia card
# cd /usr/src/linux && make-kpkg modules_image
- then in /usr/src you should have a .deb package for nvidia kernel
# cd /usr/src && dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.x.x_rev_i386.deb
- then install the glx stuff
# cd /usr/src/nvidia-glx_version && dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
  nvidia-glx and ends with .deb
- finally, reconfigure X, which i strongly recommend that you do with
  debconf
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

there should be a new driver in your list (i forget if it's NVdriver
or nvidia), and you should select that.

also, for future reference, could you instruct your mail program
to wrap lines at something ~75 columns?  it makes posts much more
readable.

thanks, and good luck!
	sean