Re: two different netenvs (work and home)

Nick Hastings wrote:
Hi,
I have looked at /etc/init.d/networking and it seems quite low level, so it looks I should run this no matter what. I guess what I want to do is cut in with my script before the dhcp stuff starts, so I can choose not to use it, but after the network card is activated for the operating system.

If this is the case I'm guessing you are using a pcmcia nic. Yes? If so
the script you should be looking at is /etc/init.d/pcmcia and have a
look at the files in /etc/pcmcia/, particularly
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts.

No I am not using a pcmcia nic, but the below applies equally well.

I don't know anything about pptp, (other than what came out of "apt-cache show pptp-linux") so I can't give you any hints there.

What I can say is that I use my laptop with three different static IPs,
two very different DHCP servers and with ppp over a modem. I found
that the package "switchconf" handles changing the configurations like
a champ. So: apt-cache show switchconf.

Thanks, for the advice, I have installed it, and at the moment am trying to configure the eth0 to understand the networking stuff more on linux. Then I will spend some time with the man pages and get switchconf working.
Thanks for the advice.

rohan